Saturday, April 4, 2009

Wheel Update: Still turning

Alright, so a week on. What has happened?

1) Guitar Hero 3
Well, still haven't conquered Hard, but have finished off all songs on Easy at 100% and am galloping through Medium on 100%, so not despairing yet.

2) Twitter-izing self
Gone very badly and have committed Twitter suicide. Sick of watching other people's lives passing before my bored eyes. Maybe will return to the fold when I have something to Tweet about.

3) Searching for free stuff in London
The weather's been nicer, so parks have been of more use, but other wise an EPIC FAIL.

4) Mentally cleaning
Still in the theoretical sphere, I fear. Although I did take out the recycling, which has to count for something, somewhere.

5) Watching television to remind self of outside world
Sadly, Assumpta died on Ballykissangel on Friday (Monkey was touchingly concerned for the distraught Father Peter, and when the bereaved priest wandered distractedly onto the bridge after his lady love's demise, Monkey shrieked in an extraordinarily anguished tone: "Shit, is he going to jump?!"). It was very sad. Meanwhile (as predicted) I have given into the allure of Cash in the Attic. Can anyone explain why it is so damn difficult to turn that thing off halfway through? Even if I try to walk away I only make it to the kettle before I find myself dying to know whether that candlestick made the £100 needed to pay for the contributor's scooter, or whatever. Hours and hours and hours of television watching, although strangely the outside world seems to be slipping away from me rather than retaining any sort of clarity.

New:

Enjoying fame karma
James Corden is depressed, Mathew Horne is exhausted. Considering their relentless PR offensive for their lamentable comedy and film efforts have left the entire nation both depressed and exhausted, I feel this is only fair.

Spider Solitaire
Either this has got harder since I was at university, or I have got stupider. I spent almost two hours playing it yesterday afternoon, and only won one game (although I think another was pointlessly thrown away by a premature movement of a 7 of Spades, but once I realised the drastic consequences of it I couldn’t be bothered to go back and change it). My Win Percentage is the grand total of 8%. To be fair, I haven’t played much for three years but in the four years I squandered cheerfully at university I played it daily and I’m sure it was easier to win the bloody thing then. Or have I lost my Spider Solitaire-orientated brain cells? Is it another Windows Vista plot to create insecurity about your intelligence (like the conspiracy to hide Select All so intricately that it takes a full 25 minutes to find the first time)? I also don’t much care for the weird slurpy noise it makes nowadays when you drag a card. When I eventually won, it was a pyrrhic victory as I realised it was dark outside, dinnertime and I had achieved NOTHING. Apart from some CGI fireworks going off on my laptop and perhaps a measly addition to my pathetic record against what is, after all, a reasonably basic Artificial Intelligence. What will happen when the actual robots come? How massively talented at Spider Solitaire will they be? Combine that knowledge with the superheroic intelligence (some may say sabotage) displayed by Super Mario Kart when it notes you are about to win a 150cc circuit, and they will be unstoppable.

Pointless nostalgia
Alright, so I am now incapable of playing Spider Solitaire. That’s okay, it wasn’t a skill I’d put on my CV anyway. Now I’ve won one I can hopefully move on and accept it is just another door closing between the husk of a human being I now am and the gambolling innocent who used to lope around quiet quads in dappled summery afternoon sunlight, which is how I now picture I was at university. At that time, I never believed anyone when they informed me those would be the best days of my life. “Jesus,” I’d say, looking around me. “There must be something better than this.” Well, you would think, wouldn’t you? But it’s not true. Immensely talented people talking to you about immensely interesting things for just four hours a week in an immensely beautiful place surrounded by other immensely young and energetic people is, as it turns out, quite the highlight. I want to back to my university town and thump every navel-gazing student there, the self-centred bastards.

Along with the expiry of my Young Person’s Railcard and the infrequency these days of being ID’d when buying alcohol the latter two factors are perhaps just signs of my creeping age and not an electronic conspiracy after all. Like the disbelief I maintain that a DJ on Capital FM is actually called The Baseman, making me sound extraordinarily like my beloved mother as I exclaim: "He's a grown man called what?".

Perhaps an upside of this advancing age is that I no longer have the self-confidence/arrogance/flagrant idiocy to believe that I can, on some basic level, work every piece of equipment I come across by turning it off, unplugging it, smacking it or just playing randomly in the Menu screen. Oh no, those days are well gone, and disasters resulting thereof have been chalked up to experience. Our DVD player’s warp core has been damaged, or similar, and I’m waiting for Monkey to come home so he can magic it better. In the meantime I’m typing this, drinking tea and taking perverse pleasure in listening to the travel news. Mwahaha no tube travel for me, oh no. (No money, you see.)

If I hear “Broken Strings” by James Morrison and Nelly Furtado on the radio one more time, either me or the Freeview box is going out the window. Argh! Shut! Up!

4 comments:

KEVIN JACKSON said...

You are even more fun to read now - I hope you never get another job though I wouldn't know your loss, hardly ever having had one myself, self-employment not counting as a job, apparently, according to . . . oh well, her; or work although the hours are illegal, the hourly rate miniscule to negative, and there are no annual hols and no sick pay, and, where was I? Oh yes, Cordelia; yes, I wish you no ill and hope you are released into work again soon before you bust up everything in your house. Regards to man in your life, and in case you're wondering how this n----- found you, it was Cold Comfort Farm and it's too late to change it now.

Cordelia said...

Thank you for the comment :-) It made me smile. Though funnily enough my "work" also often involved illegal hours, miniscule hourly rates, and I wasn't really allowed to take any holiday or sick days. Frankly I'm probably only marginally worse off by not working at all. Far more bored though.

Ms Scarlet said...

I can no longer do Minesweeper on difficult and I used to be Minesweeper champion of the office when I was working.
Cash in the Attic? Oh.
Sx

Cordelia said...

I'm trying to learn Minesweeper because I think it's slightly more intellectual than Spider Solitaire, but have got distracted with the Inkball game, which is more infantile than both...